GBC Home
Admissions for International Students
International Students page title graphic

Please explore our beautiful Elko Campus and exciting Degree Programs. You may also be interested in on-campus housing.

Note: Indicated forms linked to below are PDF documents requiring the Adobe Reader plugin for your browser available free from Adobe.

  1. Submit a GBC International Application (PDF).
  2. Submit a copy of passport page(s) showing name, date of birth, passport number and expiration date.
  3. Have your TOEFL score sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to GBC. See TOEFL information at right. (Additional testing information)

    a. On test day, include our institution code (4293) on the test. Take the test early. Waiting costs money and slows your application.

    b. International TOEFL score of at least 61 (iBT) or 173 (CBT) or 500 (PBT) is required for admission.
  4. Provide official transcripts in the English language to Great Basin College:

    a. High school transcripts must include your graduation date.

    b. Send official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. The official transcript must be sent to Great Basin College directly from your college or university. In addition, if you want to receive credit for any courses taken outside of the United States, it is your responsibility to have the transcript translated into English and evaluated by an agency listed by NACES or the Nevada Department of Education. The agency must forward the transcript results to Great Basin College with the appropriate signatures, dates and institutional seals in order to be considered official documents.

    c. If you are transferring from a school in the USA, request that the school send transcripts directly to GBC.
  5. Submit original financial documents showing the equivalent of a minimum of USD $20,415 for an academic year.

    a. Financial documents may be a bank statement or letter, scholarship letter or an Affidavit of Support, Form I-134 (PDF) from a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident or a combination of these items. All bank documents must be dated within the last six months.

    b. They may be in any currency.

    c. At right is a conservative estimate of expenses for one academic year at Great Basin College.
  6. Submit a Financial Statement (PDF) signed by sponsor. (You sign if you are financially responsible for yourself.)
  7. Submit proof of health insurance to cover medical expenses in the United States and your immunization (shot) records showing the dates you received the series of immunizations: MMR (measles/mumps/ rubella), DT (diphtheria/ tetanus), and a PPD (tuberculin test). An estimated $1,500.00 yearly cost for health insurance is shown in the estimated expenses chart. If you do not have appropriate health insurance and immunizations, you will be required to resolve these issues prior to registering for classes.
  8. If your spouse or children will accompany you to GBC, submit documents about dependents:

    a. Photocopy of each passport showing name, date of birth, passport number and
    expiration date.

    b. A list of the following information for each dependent: family name, first name, middle name, relationship (spouse/son/daughter), date of birth (mm/dd/yyyy), city and country of birth).
  9. After items 1-8 on this checklist are provided to Great Basin College and your application is approved, an I-20 Form will be mailed to you. Before you take the I-20 Form to your embassy or consulate to apply for the F-1 Visa, you will need to complete a Form I-901 with information from your I-20 and pay the required fee. Instructions regarding the Form I-901 are available at
  10. It is important to apply for housing on campus as far in advance as possible. For information regarding housing and the application process, click here.

If you are transferring from a U.S. School, the following additional documents are required.

  1. Photocopy of the following:

    a. I-20 from current school and all previous

    b. F-1 Visa

    c. I-94 (small white card stapled in passport)

    d. SEVIS fee receipt (I-797C, Notice of Action), optional

    e. If you have dependents, a copy of their documents and I-20s
  2. GBC Transfer Verification Form (PDF)

    Fill out and sign section 1, have your current international advisor complete Section 2 and fax it directly to 775-753-2311.
  3. Complete the English requirement with one of the following options:

    a. International TOEFL score of at least 61 (iBT) or 173 (CBT) or 500 (PBT).

    b. Completion of English 101 (or equivalent) at a U.S. college or university.

If you are transferring out of GBC to another college or university, use the International Student Transfer Out Form.

Contact Information

Ms. Janice King
Director of Admissions, Berg Hall
Telephone: 1-775-753-2361
Fax: 1-775-753-2311

Mail Application & All Documents To

Great Basin College
Admissions and Records Office
1500 College Parkway
Elko, NV 89801


If you are applying for an F-1 visa: May 15 for fall semester and October 1 for spring semester. If you are a transfer student and already have an F-1 visa, July 1 for fall semester and November 1 for spring semester.

TOEFL Information

GBC’s Institution Code: 4293

On the Web: TOEFL Services

Mailing Address: Educational Testing Service, P.O. Box 6151, Princeton, NJ 08541-6161, USA

Conservative Estimate of Expenses
for Two Semesters
Application Fee $25
Tuition 6,645
24 credits @ $90.00/credit 2,160
Books & Supplies 1,100
Shared Dorm Room at GBC 2,650
Yearly Health Insurance 1,800
Living Expense (food, clothes, etc.) 6,500
TOTAL $20,880




Great Basin College - 1500 College Parkway - Elko, Nevada 89801 - 775.738.8493
A member institution of the Nevada System of Higher Education
Accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
All rights reserved. Use of any content only by express permission of Great Basin College © 2015.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

This page is XHTML 1.0 compliant

This page is coded to conform to XHTML 1.0