GBC Home

Nevada Residency graphic

It is very important that residency issues be settled before the beginning of the semester. Once a semester begins, residency changes can only be made for the following semester.

Great Basin College allows any adult who can benefit from instruction to enroll, regardless of residency status. Although the tuition and fees will vary depending on residency status, all adults are welcome to attend GBC.

If you are not sure of your current residency classification, you can find out from Admissions & Records or any GBC Center.

A new student is considered a “Resident” of the state of Nevada for tuition purposes under any of the conditions below. In many cases, you may be required to provide appropriate documentation.

  • A financially independent student who has established residence in the state of Nevada for a minimum of 12 months prior to the first day of instruction of the semester in which the student intends to enroll.
  • A student who is financially dependent upon a spouse, family, or legal guardian who has been a resident of Nevada 12 months prior to the first day of instruction of the semester in which the student intends to enroll.
  • An enrollee or graduate of a Nevada high school.
  • A member of the Armed Forces of the United States stationed in Nevada as a permanent duty assignment, pursuant to military orders, or the spouse, parent, or legal guardian of such a person. A veteran of the Armed Forces who was honorably discharged and who on the date of discharge was on active duty stationed in Nevada.
  • A veteran of the Armed Forces of the United States who was honorably discharged within the two years immediately preceding the first day of the student's first semester at GBC (or any other NSHE institution).
  • A student who has been classified as an in-state resident by another NSHE institution and has maintained Nevada residency since that time.
  • A financially independent person who has relocated to Nevada for the primary purpose of permanent full-time employment or to establish a business in Nevada, or the spouse, or dependents of such a person. Click here for documentation requirements.
  • Full details about Nevada residency can be found in the Nevada Board of Regents Handbook, Title 4, Chapter 15: Regulations for Determining Residency

Note: A student is not eligible for Nevada residency unless he or she is a U.S. Citizen, holds a permanent immigrant visa, or has been granted official asylum or refugee status.


Students who begin attending Great Basin College as out-of-state students may be eligible to reclassify as in-state for tuition purposes after they have lived in Nevada for 12 months.

It is important to understand, however, that simply living in Nevada for 12 months is not a guarantee that you will be automatically viewed as in-state. You will need to submit the Nevada Residency Reclassification Form, which requires a great deal of documentation that you should begin accumulating as soon as you move to Nevada. Look over this form carefully so that you know what documents you will need to provide.

Helpful Hint: It is a Nevada state law that new Nevada residents must obtain their driver’s license and vehicle registration within 30 days of moving to the state. Failure to do so not only jeopardizes your ability to establish in-state status at GBC, but it can result in a costly ticket.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Residents of Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, or Wyoming may enroll at GBC at a special, reduced tuition level. This is a result of an interstate partnership among members of the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) and the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).

Important Notes:

  • Students are only eligible to obtain WUE status prior to taking courses at Great Basin College, so it is important to request WUE status at the time you apply to GBC.
  • WUE students are not usually eligible to reclassify to Nevada resident status. A student who attends GBC under the WUE tuition program may not be reclassified as a resident unless he or she disenrolls from the WUE program for 12 months and then successfully applies to reclassify as an in-state student.

To apply for this reduced-rate, print and submit the WUE Application* to:

Director of Admissions and Registrar
Great Basin College
1500 College Parkway
Elko, NV 89801

For more information about this program, please call the above office at 775.753.2361.

*Viewing forms requires installation of the Adobe Reader, available free at the Adobe website.


Great Basin College - 1500 College Parkway - Elko, Nevada 89801 - 775.738.8493
A member institution of the Nevada System of Higher Education
Accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
All rights reserved. Use of any content only by express permission of Great Basin College © 2015.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

This page is XHTML 1.0 compliant

This page is coded to conform to XHTML 1.0