In the event of a spill, large or small, follow these steps:
- If you DO NOT know the identity of the spilled substance, immediately evacuate
the area and
notify an emergency contact .
- If you DO know the identity of the spilled substance and have been trained in
the proper handling
of the substance, proceed with the following.
- Spills involving an immediate danger to life or property:
- If an immediate
hazard exists, or medical assistance is required, call 911.
- Follow the evacuation procedures for the immediate area and
- Spills not involving immediate danger to life or property:
- Confine the spill, if
possible without substantial exposure.
- Evacuate the immediate area and limit access.
- If you can identify the chemical,
follow instructions on the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSD)
In all emergency situations involving
hazardous materials, notify the Campus Director or the Department Chair and the Director of Environmental Health, Safety, and Security (775.753.2115).